It is that time of the year…school starts, football is back (thank goodness!), the leaves are beginning to turn, and WHPRMS holds its annual educational conference. We hope that you have reviewed the conference materials and have made your case to attend this worthwhile annual conference.
Please see the 2010 Full Conference Brochure and Registration Form.
In the event that you have not yet registered or made your case for attending the conference, here are some helpful tips to help you get approval to attend the WHPRMS Annual Conference in Green Bay on October 6-8, 2010:
- Review the Conference materials with an eye towards addressing your hospital, clinic, business or facility’s current needs or plans for the near future.
- Prepare an estimate of costs in advance including registration fee, membership fee, hotel, and miscellaneous expense (remember early bird registration saves money and ends on Friday, September 10).
- Identify a back-up person(s) or procedure(s) to ensure coverage during your absence.
- Seek approval immediately. An early request shows that you are a careful planner, and you may be able to take advantage of savings of conference fees. In addition, should there be any questions you can address them in plenty of time.• Put your request in writing and in addition to the expenses and time off request, include specific benefits to the hospital or facility, include the information you will gain. A sample memo can be found at HERE.
- Sometimes, asking in person is better. Choose a time that demonstrates a skill that can be enhanced through the Conference. Be sure to have all the information with you for your supervisor to review.
- Ask your supervisor which classes he or she believes would be for you to attend. Get them involved in your educational development.
- If you have attended in the past, share how the education offered particular value to your patients or institution.
After asking for permission, follow up in a timely manner. A gentle reminder or an offer to discuss the conference may lead to approval.
We hope that you take the time to review the conference materials and proactively campaign for your attendance at this year’s event in beautiful Green Bay! As always, if you have questions please do not hesitate to contact me or any WHPRMS board member.
Friday, September 10 – Early bird discount registration ends
Wednesday, September 24 – Last day to make your hotel reservations under the discounted block
WHPRMS North Central District Representative
Bone & Joint Center, Wausau
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.